Maybe I'm crazy... Maybe you're crazy... Maybe we're crazy... Probably...

6/10/2007

3 Years Ago Today

It was on June 10, 2004, 5:30 PM at the Charlotte Coliseum that I achieved one of my first major life goals. That day, I graduated and said goodbye to West Charlotte and left with lots of memories but an even greater outlook on the future. In the three years since graduation I've learned, grew and experienced things that back in 2004 I wouldn't believe would be in store for me.

So what are some things I've done in the past three years?
- I went from being a nigga that just talked a lot to man who turned gregariousness into opportunity
- I started using words like gregarious (Who'd a thunk it?)
- I've figured out what my purpose in life is and capitalize on my God given ability. I'm ridiculously career oriented
- I learned that money wasn't everything and dying to get it doesn't do you any good if you aren't here to enjoy it and also the big difference between rich and wealthy.
- I went from thinking $100 was a lot to thinking a quarter-million really ain't shit in the grand scheme of things and million dollar homes are normal.
- I let go of some of my "Charlotte" tendencies, I'm still kinda arrogant and can be an asshole sometimes but now I can talk to people, no matter how big or how small and find common ground without alienating and trying to intimidate them
- I've had the opportunity to travel without spending a dime (THANKS A&T!)
- I've met some life changing individuals who really don't know how much of an impact they've had on me.
- I've done TV, radio and helped produce when all I wanted to when I got here was talk.
- I've began to see things from perspectives other than my own and became a more fair, understanding and tolerant person.
- I've realized the value of a college education, not so much for the academics but for the experiences to be around a group of individuals where everyone has at least SOME ambition and others have very real plans for changing the world.
- I've tried to be a person that people can say, "Mike is doing something."
- I went from being barely responsible enough for myself to being responsible for a entire organization (The A&T Register! Get At Us!)
- I took all the energy I never used at West Charlotte and have channeled that into all facets of journalism and tried to make myself not just an employee but an entity all my own, branding myself as somebody who can do it all.
- I realized that there was more to the world than leaving Charlotte, getting a degree and coming back home. I - I realized I needed to know people who weren't from here, never been here and had plans to be doing something with their lives.
- I learned that things don't always go as planned and sometimes improvising instead of sticking to the script works out a lot better.
- I learned that being myself is a very good thing and that waking up every morning and being Mike McCray ain't so bad.
- I know that work speaks for itself and no matter what someone can say about my personality or character my track record speaks for itself.
- I learned to prepare for the worse and I'm still learning how to enjoy the good times while you have them.

Yall know I could make a list forever so I'll stop but CONGRATULATIONS to the class of 2007, Freshmen, I'll see yall on the yard next year, Seniors, best of luck I'll see you around the way.

GV I MADE IT! Big Mike in a market near you soon...

How have I changed since you knew me in 2004? How have you changed? Let me know.
Be Easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home